Thursday, January 29, 2009

Budapest in Jan 09

I had a great visit to Budapest, Hungary this week.  One of the two non-business personal highlights of the trip for me was the night cruise on the Danube – very beautiful.  Despite having traveled around Europe over seventy-five times, I walked away with some original experiences, and new insights from this trip.  It is said that Budapest is perhaps  the new Prague - and for the most part I agree.  I think there is lots of history here (given Hungary's role in WW1 and then feels like relatively unscathed in WW2 bombings), the combination of architectural styles (Western European, Turkish and recently Russian), and a warm, open way of life.  Definitely worth a visit back with the family, once kids are older.  This photo is taken from a moving boat on the Danube looking up at the palace on the Buda side.