Friday, February 13, 2009

London after the storm

I missed the big storms last week. London, which is quite unaccustomed to snow, came to a complete halt for a day and half early last week, I was lucky enough to have left the Friday before and arrive back this week after life had returned to normal. Having lived in North America for the past twenty years (of which two years were in Minnesota – which deals with snow perhaps not unlike other cities deal with wind), its difficult to imagine a major economic capital not being able to deal with a few inches of snow. But London I guess never gets any snow. In any case, between the recent snow storms, and the overall economic meltdown (particularly noticeable in London compared to other cities I have recently traveled to) travel was smooth, easy and convenient – not to mention, cheaper. I stayed at a business hotel in Canary Wharf which was conveniently undersold and thus easier to get upgraded in, dined at fine, popular restaurants that were easy to get in and out of, and to top it all, paid for it all with a much stronger $ that I can remember in recent years !